Note: This is a printed version of https://isc.uw.edu/your-time-absence/time-off/using-your-personal-holiday. Please visit this page on the ISC website to ensure you're referencing the most current information.
Using Your Personal Holiday
Medical Centers Employees:
If you have not scheduled your Personal Holiday this year, please follow your usual departmental time off request procedure.
At the University of Washington, all monthly paid employees receive one paid personal holiday each calendar year. Similar to other Time Off requests (eg, sick time or vacation), to use this paid holiday, employees must request the Personal Holiday Time Off in Workday.
To be eligible to use this Time Off, you must have completed a minimum of four months of continuous University employment. Classified non-union employees need only to be scheduled to have at least four months of continuous employment. Full-time employees receive eight hours of time off for their paid holiday. Part-time employees receive a prorated amount based on their FTE percentage.
For more information about the UW’s personal holiday policy, visit UWHR’s Personal Holiday webpage.
This Personal Holiday must be used or donated by December 31 of each year, or, per University policy, the paid holiday is automatically forfeited – it does not carry over to the following year.
How to Schedule Your Personal Holiday Time Off
When you are ready to schedule your Personal Holiday:
- Log into Workday and select the Absence worklet.
- Select Request Absence
- Select the date for which you’d like to schedule your Personal Holiday Time Off, then select the green Request Absence button at the bottom of the screen
- For Select Absence Type, chose Personal Holiday Time Off
- On the final screen, select Submit – your request will be routed to your Time & Absence Approver
For more detailed guidance, start with Step 1 in the Enter Absence (Time Off) User Guide.
Full-time employees receive eight hours of paid Personal Holiday each year. Part-time employees also receive paid Personal Holiday, the hours of which are prorated based on FTE (eg, if your FTE is 50%, you will receive four hours of paid Personal Holiday each year). For more information, see the UWHR’s Personal Holiday webpage.
Yes, absolutely. Your Personal Holiday simply needs to be used prior to the end of the day on December 31.
To request to donate your Personal Holiday hours to another employee or a shared leave pool, please see the Donate Shared Leave User Guide for step-by-step guidance.
- Please note: in order to donate your Personal Holiday hours to another employee, the receiving employee will first need to have an approved Shared Leave of Absence in Workday.
- For more information, see the UWHR’s Shared Leave webpage.