Note: This is a printed version of https://isc.uw.edu/admin-corner/security-roles/delegations. Please visit this page on the ISC website to ensure you're referencing the most current information.
Delegation is a process in Workday that directs tasks from one individual’s Workday inbox to that of another person with the same assigned Security Role. The purpose of Delegation is to ensure that a business process is not delayed due to an Approver being out of the office.
Delegation does not remove responsibility (ownership) for the task from the user it was initially assigned to and, when the delegation period ends, any incomplete delegated tasks revert to the original owner.
When tasks are delegated to a person, that person can switch accounts in Workday to perform the tasks on behalf of another user – see FAQ #3, below.
When requesting a delegation, note the following:
⇒ Delegation can be requested by the following individuals –
- The person needing to delegate their tasks
- The Initiate 2 for the Supervisory Organization in which the individual with the delegation sits
- The HR/Academic Partner for the Supervisory Organization in which the individual with the delegation sits
- A person in the superior Supervisory Organization
⇒ Delegations are security-role sensitive.
Tasks can only be delegated between workers who have compatible security role assignments. Before submitting a request:
- Refer to the delegation matrix (PDF) for guidance.
- Tasks performed by a Time and Absence Approver should be delegated to another Time and Absence Approver, but can be delegated to anyone who has the appropriate oversight to approve time sheets and/or absence requests for that that supervisory organization, except for that org’s Time and Absence Initiate. This ensures separation of duties, so a person entering a time transaction is not the same person who approves it within that Supervisory Organization.
- Tasks performed by and HCM Initiate 2, HR Partner, and Academic Partner can only be delegated to others who hold that role or have completed and passed the related training and assessment.
1. I have a Workday security role, and will soon be out of the office. What should I do?
Prior to leaving, complete and submit the Workday Delegate request form, linked in the above menu. Select Manage Delegations to name a temporary delegate for your security role(s) in Workday. The ISC will review and process your request.
2. I need a Task already in someone’s Workday inbox to be reassigned. What should I do?
Complete and submit the Workday Delegate request form, linked in the above menu. Select Delegate Task to name the business process and a delegate for the single task. Note that the form must be submitted for each Business Process task that needs to be delegated.
The ISC will review and process your request.
3. A task was reassigned to me but I can’t see it in my Workday inbox. What should I do?
If a reassigned task isn’t showing up in your inbox, you can navigate to it another way. When tasks are delegated to you, you can switch accounts to perform the tasks on behalf of another user:
- Select the cloud icon in the upper right corner of the page.
- From the drop-down menu, choose Switch Account. This option presents you with a list of users who have delegated Inbox tasks to you.
- Select the user for whom you want to act as a delegate to see the Inbox tasks delegated to you.
- To switch back to your Workday account, select Switch Account again, and select your own name.