Integrated Service Center

Payroll Processes

Last updated Friday, May 10, 2019



An overpayment occurs when you are paid for hours that you did not work or for which you were paid at an incorrect rate.

An overpayment can be reported by an employee or discovered by the employee’s department during a review of their payroll.

As a state agency, the University of Washington is required by law to recover these overpaid funds.

A series of state and federal regulations govern the overpayment process. To comply with these regulations, you are required to notify your department immediately if you discover an overpayment on your paycheck.

Direct Deposit/Check Reversals

The ISC Payroll team often receives overpayment notifications right after payroll has processed, which result in different reversal procedures. If the overpayment is:

  • For the full amount of the direct deposit, and within the window to reverse the funds – The ISC Payroll team will request a reversal from the bank rather than establish an overpayment repayment plan.
  • For a partial amount of the check – The ISC Payroll team requires approval from the employee prior to reversing the funds. The entire net amount of the employee’s pay must still be reversed. Once we have verified the funds have been returned, a corrected, physical check will be written for any funds that are owed.

In either case, in order to reverse the funds and have a corrected check available by the upcoming pay day, Payroll must be notified of the reversal before 12:00pm three business days prior to pay day.

If the employee receives a paper check, and the overpayment is:

  • For the full amount of the check – The Payroll Office will pull the check (if not already mailed) and cancel the pay results.
  • For a partial amount of the check – The check may be pulled and reissued.

Repayment for Current Employees

Active employees have four repayment options to choose from:

  • Non-exempt employees may correct an overpayment with a correction to their timesheet, if less than 90 days from the date the timesheet was submitted, approved, and paid
  • Total Gross One-Time Repayment
  • Installment Deductions
  • Time Off Hours (using vacation and/or compensatory time)

Information about the Overpayment process, including worksheets, instructions, and notifications is available in the Overpayment Process Overview (Word doc).

Repayment for Separated (Terminated) Employees

Employees who have separated from the University or are on long-term leave must repay the University by check.

This requires a repayment calculation by the ISC Payroll team. An overpayment cannot be considered paid in full unless it is for the amount that has been calculated by the ISC.

Information about the Overpayment process, including worksheets, instructions, and notifications is available in the Overpayment Process Overview (Word doc).

Repayment for Suspended Operations Make Up Time

Suspended operations missed work time does not qualify for an overpayment repayment option plan.

If an employee does not make-up the time within 90 days, they must complete the Suspended Operations Overpayment Form to account for the missed work time. The completed form should be sent to

In the event an employee terminates before their missed work time balance has been accounted for, remaining hours will be deducted from the employee’s final paycheck. If the final paycheck has already been processed, the normal overpayment process will be used to collect the balance due.

Visit UWHR’s Suspended Operations page for more information about Suspended Operations policy.

Collection Agency Accounts

Departments work with the ISC to ensure repayment of overpayments using the appropriate method listed above. When an employee does not sign the Overpayment Repayment Option Form, the department may refer the overpayment to the ISC for further action.

An employee has 20 days to respond to the initial Overpayment Notice Letter from their department. If there is no response to the initial notice, a pre-collection letter is sent at the end of the 20-day period. This letter will be sent from the ISC via certified mail to the home address on file.

If all prior attempts to secure payment arrangements have failed, the overpayment may be placed with an outside collection agency. Accounts referred for collection are charged a collection fee (commission) by the collection agency in addition to the overpayment amount due. Once an overpayment has been turned over to the collection agency, the ISC will no longer accept payments from the employee. The employee must communicate directly with the collection agency.

Rules and Regulations

IRS Publication 525 (PDF) has information regarding salary overpayments and prior tax year.

For the relevant section from the Revised Code of Washington, see R.C.W. 49.48.200 and R.C.W. 49.48.210.


An underpayment occurs when you receive less than your correct pay. A request for an underpayment must be submitted by your department for the ISC to issue payment.

For any hourly pay or exception time that cannot be tracked in Workday for any reason, complete the Retro Spreadsheet (Excel), sign and email to with the subject line “Retropay, Your Department Name, Your Workday Unit Code (formerly PUC).”

If the retropay includes effective dates prior to 6/16/17 and was a result of a compensation change (salary increase, one-time payments, period activity pay, etc.) that was not processed in OPUS prior to 6/19/17, then the necessary action(s) must be initiated in Workday that includes the appropriate effective dates.

After the business process has been completed in Workday, send an email to with the subject line “Retropay, Your Department Name, Your Workday Unit Code (formerly PUC)” and include the following information:

  • Employee Name (first and last)
  • Employee Identification (EID)
  • Pay period(s) for retropay
  • Cost Center (budget number)
  • Amount owed (must match entry in Workday)
  • Hours owed, if any (must match entry in Workday)
  • Earn Code
  • Position Number
  • Reason the underpayment occurred (e.g. retroactive FTE change, hours not approved on time)

If the retroactive change(s) was processed in OPUS but was not forwarded to Payroll in time, forward the appropriate PERM(s) along with the above information to

All retropay requests received by 1 pm on our deadline 6 business days prior to payday will be processed and included for that payday. Any retropay received after the deadline will be processed for the following payday.

FAQs about Retroactive Transactions and Pay in Workday

When a unit recognizes that an employee has not been paid accurately, sometimes the correction requires entering retroactive processes such as FTE changes, adding additional jobs, absence corrections, etc. For more information about what you can expect when you enter pay impacting transactions with effective dates in the past, please review the FAQs below.

I entered a transaction retroactively – will it be reflected on the employee’s paycheck?
In general, changes made using HCM or Time and Absence processes will cause Workday to correct any existing overpayments or underpayments retroactively. Workday adjusts the gross pay amounts based on the changes and also adjusts the appropriate gross to net items (taxes, dues, retirement, etc).

Will corrections to pay happen automatically after a retro transaction is successfully completed?
Yes, usually, corrections are “automatic,” meaning Workday will make the appropriate adjustments to pay after retroactive entries (eg, absence corrections or FTE changes) are made and approved.

However, in some instances – referred to as “unsupported retro transactions – Workday cannot make corrections automatically. “Unsupported retro transactions” include processes that have an effective date prior to Workday go-live (June 16, 2017), and transactions completed on employees who are either terminated or on leave. Some transactions can also be “unsupported” due to complexity, such as when an employee has had multiple changes to their job, FTE, or other elements of their worker data. If you think your retroactive transaction will be “unsupported,” please read below to learn how to ensure your changes are successful.

How can I make sure that a change I make retroactively will be reflected on an employee’s paycheck?
When you complete a retroactive transaction, the resulting pay adjustments will appear on your Earnings and Actuals reports, which you can start running after Pay Calc opens – results are available to campus the day after the “orange day” on the Campus Payroll and HCM Transaction Calendar. If the adjustment doesn’t show up on your reports, please follow the steps outlined for Overpayments or Underpayments. Once the ISC is notified of the issue, the payroll team will monitor that employee throughout payroll calculation, and will resolve your ticket when the adjustment is successfully completed.

Why don’t Costing Allocations work retroactively?
Costing Allocations do not function retroactively in Workday. This means that changing a Costing Allocation on wages that have already been paid will have no effect on your budgets. Similarly, you cannot backdate Costing Allocations in anticipation of a retro payment.

For example, if you were to enter an FTE change on June 1, 2017 with an effective date of February 1, 2017 increasing a worker from 75% to 100%, the employee would be owed retro pay for the previous four months. That pay will always be costed based on the Costing Allocations that were effective during the period in which the retro is paid. If an employee is paid from an incorrect budget, you will need to complete salary transfers in order to correct the error.

On-Demand Payments


A request for an On-Demand Payment (i.e. an Emergency Check or Off-Cycle Payments) must be submitted by your department for the ISC to issue payment. The ISC will process an On-Demand Payment if the underpayment meets one or more of the criteria below. Emergency checks will be paper checks. Checks cannot be issued before the payday in which the hours were worked. The University of Washington does not provide cash advances of payroll funds.

The ISC will process an On-Demand Payment:
  • If the employee has not received pay for the current pay period.
  • If the employee is missing 15% or more of their paycheck (15% refers to missing 15% or more of hours worked in a pay period and does not include: salary rate adjustments, exception time or supplemental earnings).
  • For student employees (GSA or otherwise), the gross amount of the check request must be $75 or more.
  • All other requests will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
  • In an emergency situation defined as follows: The employee will be evicted, unable to pay medical bills, unable to support family, pay for childcare, or similar situations. These will be qualified on a case-by-case basis.
The ISC will not process an On-Demand Payment:
  • For excess compensation and other similar supplemental payments.
  • Exception time (i.e., O/T, S/T, shift differential).
  • For standard retroactive salary increases.
  • For separation payments.

Request an On-Demand Payment

To request an on-demand payment, email the payment information to, and include the following information:

NOTE: Please submit a separate request for EACH employee needing an on-demand payment; this is necessary for auditing purposes. Requests for payment to more than one employee will be sent back to the department to ask that individual requests be sent; this may result in a delay of pay.

  • Subject Line: On-Demand Payment for “Employee Name,” “Your Workday Unit Code”
    • Example: On-Demand Payment for Mickey Mouse, 00137
    • Locating the Unit Code: Select Overview from the employee’s Profile page in Workday, then select the Organizations tab. Using the table, the Workday Unit Code is the number found in the Organization column for Organization Type “Cost Center Hierarchy” and Organization Subtype “Unit”
  • Message Body:
    ALL of the following information is required:

    • Employee Name (first and last)
    • Employee Identification (EID)
    • Pay period(s)
    • Cost Center (budget number)
    • Amount owed (must match entry in Workday)
    • Hours owed, if any (must match entry in Workday)
    • Earn Code
    • Position Number
    • Reason Underpayment Occurred
    • Reason the on-demand payment is needed

Allow 72 hours processing time for On-Demand Payments and Special Check Requests. You will be contacted when the check is available for pick up at the ISC.

Per ISC policy and for security reasons, On-Demand Payments cannot be sent through campus mail. When picking up the check in the ISC, an employee will need a photo ID or the department will need the green card listing the Workday Unit Code (formerly PUC).

Salary and Earnings Type Information

Salary is paid using an Earnings Type based on an employee’s job class code and the type of work the employee does. If you have questions about Earnings Types, please contact your department administrator.

Salary grades and guidelines were created and are maintained by the department which oversees each particular employee type. For salary schedules, see the links below.

A stipend is an Earnings Type (STP, SWB) used to pay a scholarship or fellowship. A scholarship is generally an amount paid to a student for the purpose of study. A fellowship is generally an amount paid to a person for the purpose of research.

Information on tax reporting on stipend payments