Integrated Service Center

Open Enrollment

Last updated Friday, September 14, 2018

Please note: This page provides a general overview of Open Enrollment in Workday at the University of Washington.
Open Enrollment for 2018 closed as of midnight Pacific Time on Thursday, November 30, 2017.

What is Open Enrollment?

Each year during Open Enrollment (November 1-30), you have the opportunity to enroll in or make changes to your health plan elections in Workday. Your elections go into effect the following January 1. Open Enrollment is the only time each year you can change your benefits enrollment, unless you experience a qualifying life event (such as marriage or the birth of a newborn).

If you are happy with your current elections, no action is required. However, if you wish to continue your FSA or DCAP coverage, you must re-enroll to participate the following year. Additionally, if you are covering your spouse or state-registered domestic partner, you may have to re-attest to the spousal premium coverage surcharge.

Changes You Can Make During Open Enrollment

During Open Enrollment, you can:

  • Change, enroll or re-enroll in medical and/or dental coverage
  • Add a spouse or state-registered domestic partner to your health plans
  • Add or drop qualified dependents from your health plans
  • Waive your medical coverage if you are covered by another employer-based group medical insurance, TRICARE or Medicare
  • Enroll or re-enroll in optional pre-tax savings programs such a Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA) or the Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP)
  • Change your spousal surcharge attestation
  • Change your tobacco use premium surcharge attestation

Required Re-Enrollments Every Year


If you currently have a Flexible Spending Arrangements (FSA) or a Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), you must re-enroll every year in order to contribute for the following year.

For more information, visit:

Spousal Premium Surcharge

If you currently have a spouse or State-Registered Domestic Partner (SRDP) enrolled on your PEBB medical plan, you may need to re-attest to the premium surcharge each year. The PEBB Program will mail you a notification letter in late October if you have to reattest.

For more information, visit:

How to Make Changes During Open Enrollment

During Open Enrollment you can make changes to your insurance following these four steps!

Step 1: Do Your Homework!

Before making any changes to your benefits, make sure you spend a bit of time reviewing your benefit options and deciding what changes you want to make. There are several resources available that provide plan descriptions and comparisons:

Attend a UW Benefits Fair: In addition to visiting the websites and links listed above, you can learn more about your plan options and talk with plan representatives at one of the UW Benefits Fairs, held each year. Dates for the fairs, which are usually held in late October or during November, are posted on the Open Enrollment page of the UW Benefits website by early fall.

Step 2: Log in to Workday Beginning November 1

During the month of November, simply login to Workday, and from your inbox select “Open Enrollment Change” to begin enrolling. You can make multiple changes to your elections at any time between November 1 and November 30, and you can even make changes several times. Workday will process the most recently submitted election as of November 30.

Review Home Address and Zip Code: While you’re logged in, take a moment to confirm that your home address and zip code are listed correctly in Workday. The benefits plans you are offered are actually determined based on your zip code, so please verify your permanent address is correct and make any corrections before November 1.

Begin Making Changes: Check out the Open Enrollment User Guide for step-by-step instructions in Workday.

Finalize Changes by November 30: Remember, November 30 is a hard deadline; there are no exceptions or grace periods for Open Enrollment. Your enrollment must be completed in a timely manner to ensure your coverage is what you want and expect.

Step 3: Check Your Work!

Before hitting Submit, double-check that you’ve avoided common mistakes in order to avoid delays and errors. Mistakes must be corrected and/or missing documentation must be submitted before November 30 to successfully submit your enrollment.

When adding a new dependents to your coverage, please complete the following steps for each dependent:

  • Update the tobacco use attestation: Make sure you’ve attested for each dependent to possibly avoid the $25/month surcharge.
  • Attach valid dependent verification documents: On the last page of open enrollment Workday, you must attach valid documentation verifying your dependent’s relationship to you; otherwise we cannot process your dependent’s enrollment.
  • Attest to the spousal or state-registered domestic partner coverage: When newly adding your spouse or state-registered domestic partner (SRDP) to your coverage, you’ll need to declare whether they have other, affordable medical coverage available.
  • Include your date of marriage: When newly adding a spouse to your coverage, you must include your marriage date within the comments box on Step 4, Benefit Elections Review. This does not apply to SRDPs.

Step 4: Submit Your Open Enrollment Changes

To finalize your Open Enrollment changes, simply check I Agree and hit Submit!

Save your Open Enrollment submission code and print your confirmation screen; you’ll need it in case you have future questions or issues about your enrollment. Confirmation statements will be emailed in early December.

Benefit Changes You Can Make Anytime

There are several benefit changes you can make that don’t require you to wait until Open Enrollment.

Health Savings Accounts (HSAs)

If you are currently enrolled in a consumer driven health plan with an HSA, you can start/stop/change your HSA contributions at any time.

Optional Life Insurance

You can enroll in, waive, or increase your optional life insurance through MetLife at any time. However, you’ll be subject to evidence of insurability if you are enrolling or increasing your coverage more than 31 days after your initial eligibility date.

Optional Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance

You can enroll in, waive or change your optional long-term disability (LTD) insurance through The Standard at any time. However, you’ll be subject to evidence of insurability if you are enrolling or decreasing your waiting period (waiting period refers to the period of time before your benefits begin) after the initial 31 days of eligibility.