Academic Personnel Onboarding Information
Welcome to the University of Washington – one of the world’s preeminent public universities. We are delighted to have you join our community of academic personnel and staff committed to turning ideas into actions and transforming lives both within UW and across the globe.
To ensure a smooth transition, it is important that you connect with your unit for specific information required to complete your onboarding. If you are not sure who to contact, please reach out to your chair/director for guidance or visit your hiring unit website for general contact information.
On or Before Your Start Date
Prior to your start date, you will receive an email from UW directing you to log into Workday, the UW Human Resources/Payroll system. You will need to complete a few tasks in Workday on or before your start date, including:
- Fill out and submit your U.S. Employment Eligibility Verification I-9 form
- Complete your personal information profile, including contact and emergency contact information
- Manage your payment and withholding elections
It’s also recommended that you:
- Visit the Academic Personnel New Hire Information page
- Make sure you have a copy of your appointment letter (if applicable) for your records
- Review the UW Policy Directory, which includes, among other things, the following policies that may apply to your position:
- Patent, Invention, and Copyright Statement
- University of Washington Faculty Code Chapter 24 (concerning faculty appointments and promotion)
- University of Washington Faculty Code Chapter 25 (concerning faculty tenure)
- Watch the Preventing Sex Discrimination and Sexual Harassment in Academic Programs training video for faculty and review the corresponding Statement of Policy on Non-Discrimination and Sexual Harassment and Employee-Student Romantic Relationships and Conflicts of Interest (Executive Order 31, Executive Order 54)
- If you are a librarian: University of Washington Librarian Code
- Notify your hiring unit if you are coming in as a monthly paid employee and have prior service as a monthly paid employee with the State of Washington
Additional Programs and Resources
UW also has a number of programs and resources to support wellness and development of its academic personnel and staff including The Whole U, SmartHealth, and UW CareLink, among others. Please plan to register for and attend the Benefits Orientation for more information about these and other programs and resources available to you.
Best wishes for a productive and fulfilling year!