Integrated Service Center

Requesting a Leave of Absence

Before your Leave of Absence (LOA), review the Leave of Absence policies for staff and talk with your department.

For many Leaves of Absence, your department will process your Leave of Absence request in Workday on your behalf.

For certain leave types, you can request a LOA directly in Workday.

Requesting a Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)  Leave of Absence

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a federal law which protects eligible employees when they take a Leave of Absence for one of several qualifying reasons.

Information on FMLA at the UW

An FMLA Leave of Absence request can be initiated in Workday either by an employee or their HR Partner.

You can request a FMLA leave by following these steps:

  1. Request a Leave of Absence type “LOA-General Request-Sick/Injured Leave” or “LOA-General Leave Request- Becoming a Parent” in Workday. FMLA is not visible as a LOA type at the Request stage.
  2. Request Time Off(s) in Workday. This is how you designate which Time Off or Unpaid Time Off balance(s) you want to use during your LOA. If the absence(s) will be intermittent, Time Offs should be requested as they occur.
  3. Submit a Health Care Provider (HCP) form to HR. (Do not submit HCP form to the ISC.)
  4. Once HR has reviewed your medical information and approved your leave as FMLA in Workday, the HR Partner in your unit will be able to apply a FMLA tracking code to the days you use leave for that purpose.

Family Medical Leave Act HCP forms

Step-by-step instructions on how to request a Leave of Absence – Sick/Injured or Becoming a Parent-Staff

Step-by-step instructions on how to request Time Off

Medical Centers Employees

If you are a Medical Centers employee, for many Leave of Absences, your department will process your Leave of Absence in Kronos, on your behalf.