Integrated Service Center

Working Outside Washington State

State Income Tax

Washington is one of seven states in the US that do not have a state income tax. Employees working and residing in Washington have no state income tax liability.

However, if you are working in a state that does have an income tax, the UW is required to withhold income tax for the state(s) in which your services are performed.

You are responsible for verifying that your Home (Primary) Address in Workday properly reflects your tax residency address so your taxes will be withheld correctly.

You may be required to fill out additional state withholding tax forms as directed in Workday under Withholding Elections.

If you have questions, email the ISC and put in the subject line “Payroll Tax Inquiry.”

US Citizens Working Abroad

Generally, Federal Withholding and OASDI (Social Security and Medicare) taxes must be withheld from wages earned outside the US.

Federal withholding tax is not withheld if it is reasonable to believe that your wages would be excluded under the Foreign Earned Income exclusions.

Information on taxes for US Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

If this exception applies to you, complete IRS Form 673 Statement for Claiming Exemption from Withholding on Foreign Earned Income Eligible for the Exclusion(s) Provided by Section 911. This form must be submitted to the ISC.

IRS Form 673 form applies to US citizens only. It does not apply to Foreign Nationals.

Information on taxes for Foreign Nationals