Setting Up or Changing Your Direct Deposit
Set up or change your payroll Direct Deposit in Workday.
You can have your paycheck electronically deposited to your checking or savings account. The University of Washington encourages all employees to use Direct Deposit.
Benefits of Payroll Direct Deposit include:
- Prompt Payment Deposits are credited on payday.
- Convenience No special trips to deposit checks.
- Freedom Payments are automatically deposited to your account, even if you are out of town or ill.
- Peace of Mind No worries about mail delays and lost or stolen checks.
- Savings No check cashing fees. Many banks offer free checking and other incentives for UW employees using Direct Deposit.
- Sustainable Save trees with less paper being used for printed paychecks and mailing envelopes.
- Direct Deposit can be set up with any financial institution in the United States.
- Direct Deposit can be split among up to three different bank accounts.
- You can enroll in Direct Deposit any time. Note, however, that it may take up to two pay periods for your direct deposit enrollment to be processed. In the meantime, you will be issued a paper check which will be mailed to your primary address.
Closing a Bank Account
If you are changing your bank account information as a result of closing an account, be sure your direct deposit payment election has been updated in Workday by the deadline to avoid having your funds deposited into a closed/invalid account.
If the stop/change was not made in time, a paper check will be generated only after the funds are redirected back to the University by your financial institution. There are no exceptions. This process normally takes 3-4 business days.