Integrated Service Center

Updating Your Name

Legal Name Change

If you want to change your Legal Name for UW employment purposes, you must first change your name on your Social Security Card. Once you’ve received your new Social Security Card, you can make the change in Workday.

Step-by-step instructions on how to change your Legal Name

Preferred Name Change

Your Preferred Name is what appears in the UW Directory and other sources of campus contact information. Most UW software and services use the Identity.UW website to determine how to display your name. Once you set your Preferred Name via Identity.UW, it should appear that way in other places.


Some UW services are required to use your Legal Name. Setting a Preferred Name will not update your Legal Name.