Newly Eligible Enrollment Checklist – Faculty
UW Benefits are provided through the Public Employee Benefits Board (PEBB) for the State of Washington, and the University of Washington. We invite you to learn more about your benefit options and how to enroll by your deadlines.
1. Learn about your benefit options
To learn about the health, retirement and other benefits offered to you, visit the Integrated Service Center website, and select Your Benefits -> Plan Choices.
You’ll need to enroll for most benefits through Workday, so we recommend you visit the Resources link in the upper right corner of the ISC website for “how to” Workday information, including the Newly Eligible Benefits Enrollment Videos in the Video Library and the Newly Eligible User Guide, found in the User Guide Library. Other benefits require you enroll directly through the vendors, as described below.
Please be aware of your benefit enrollment deadlines! Enroll by the deadlines to ensure you receive the coverage you need.
3. Workday enrollment
Enroll for Health by “Submit Elections By Date – Formatted.” If you miss this deadline, your next opportunity to enroll will be during the upcoming Open Enrollment, or if you have a qualifying life event.
⇒ Medical and Dental
Select the Change Benefit Elections Health (Newly Eligible) task in your Workday Inbox.
When enrolling your dependents, you’ll need to attach your dependent verification (DV) document(s) to complete your enrollment.
⇒ Flexible Spending Accounts: Medical (FSA) and Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP)
Select the Benefits worklet from your Workday home page, select Change Benefits and select FSA & DCAP Enroll/Change.
Note: You cannot participate in both an FSA and a consumer-directed health plan (CDHP) at the same time. If you have participated in the PEBB-sponsored FSA or DCAP during this calendar year, you are ineligible to re-enroll.
⇒ Optional Long-Term Disability (LTD)
Select the Benefits worklet from your Workday home page, select Change Benefits, then Optional LTD (Newly Eligible).
Note: If you previously enrolled in the PEBB-sponsored optional LTD plan, refer to your PEBB eligibility letter which was emailed to you in order to verify your coverage and/or continued eligibility.
⇒ Enroll for retirement within 30 days from the date shown on the “Retirement Plan Election Notice” which was emailed to you.
Select the Change Benefit Elections UWRP/PERS 3 Newly Eligible task in your Workday Inbox. If you previously participated in either the UWRP or DRS plan, we will send you an email with enrollment instructions.
Designate your retirement plan beneficiary:
- If you elected UWRP, visit Fidelity to designate your beneficiary.
- If you elected TRS 3, submit your completed beneficiary form directly to the Department of Retirement Systems (DRS).
Enroll Outside of Workday
Additional coverage offered to you, including optional life insurance, wellness and more ways to save:
- Optional Life Insurance and AD&D – submit your completed enrollment form to MetLife within 31 days.
- SmartHealth Wellness Program – Required action to receive your annual wellness incentive. Visit SmartHealth to get started!
- Voluntary Investment Plan (VIP) – enroll through Fidelity at any time.
- Washington State Deferred Compensation Program – enroll directly with the State at any time.
- Liberty Mutual Auto/Home Insurance – enroll directly with Liberty Mutual at any time.