Note: This is a printed version of https://isc.uw.edu/your-benefits/newly-eligible/1-health. Please visit this page on the ISC website to ensure you're referencing the most current information.
Part 1: Health (Medical, Dental, Life, and Disability) Insurance
Eligible UW employees are offered insurance through the Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB) Program, which is administered by the Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA). PEBB purchases and coordinates the health insurance benefits for all state employees, including UW employees.*
*Health insurance for academic student employees is provided through the Graduate Appointee Insurance Program (GAIP). If eligible, you are automatically enrolled for this coverage, and may elect to enroll your dependents.
Understand Your Choices for Medical and Dental Insurance
Refer to these resources for more information on your PEBB health insurance choices:
- 2021 PEBB Enrollment Guide (PDF)
- UWHR Benefits’ Health Insurance pages:
Understand Your Choices for Life, AD&D, and Long-Term Disability Insurance
At no cost to you, as part of your PEBB benefits package, you are automatically enrolled in:
- Basic Life insurance ($35,000 coverage)
- Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance ($5,000 coverage)
- Basic Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurance
You can also choose to expand your coverage levels by applying for the following optional, additional coverage (which is done outside of Workday):
Understand Your Additional Choices
You can also reduce your taxes with these additional ways to save for medical costs and child care/elder care:
- A Medical Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA)* lets you set aside a portion of your salary to pay for deductibles, prescriptions, coinsurance, dentist visits, vision care, and other expenses not covered by health insurance.
- The Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP) helps you pay for child care and elder care by allowing you to set aside a portion of your salary for eligible expenses.
*Your ability to enroll in an FSA depends on your choice of medical plan – not all medical plans allow you to have an FSA.
Don’t Miss Your Health Insurance Enrollment Deadline!
Your deadline to enroll for health insurance is 31 days from the date you were hired into a benefits-eligible position; or, for some employees, the date you gained your initial eligibility in your current position.
Keep an eye on your inbox for emails from Workday, which specify the exact date of the enrollment deadline that has been set for you by the HCA.
What happens if you miss the deadline?
If you choose to take no action in Workday before your 31-day enrollment enrollment deadline, you will receive the following health insurance coverage by default:
- The medical plan you will be enrolled in, and will pay for, is Uniform Medical Plan (UMP) Classic with Employee Only coverage.
- The dental plan you will be enrolled in, at no cost to you, is Uniform Dental Plan (UDP) PPO with Employee Only coverage.
- You will be subject to paying the $25 monthly PEBB Tobacco Use Surcharge.
- You will be enrolled in Basic Life insurance ($35,000 coverage) at no cost to you.
- You will be enrolled in Basic Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance ($5,000 coverage) at no cost to you.
- You will be enrolled in Basic Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurance coverage at no cost to you.
Proceed to the next section to learn about how to enroll your dependents.