Note: This is a printed version of https://isc.uw.edu/your-benefits/changing/life-events/change-in-dependent-care. Please visit this page on the ISC website to ensure you're referencing the most current information.
Life Event: Change in Dependent Care
Disclaimer: If the information on this page conflicts in any way with HCA documentation, the HCA documentation governs.
This Life Event is when any of the following scenarios take place:
- Your dependent care provider imposes a change in the cost of dependent care, provided the dependent care provider is not a relative as defined in Section 152 (a)(1) through (8), incorporating the rules of Section 152 (b)(1) and (2) of the US Internal Revenue Code.
- You change your dependent care provider, provided the dependent care provider is not a qualifying relative of the employee as defined in Internal Revenue Code Section 152.
- You or your spouse/partner experience a change in the number of qualifying individuals as defined in the US Internal Revenue Code Section 21 (b)(1).
Changes You Can Make and How To Make Them
Within 60 days of this Life Event taking place, you can enroll in DCAP or change your DCAP contribution amounts.
To do so:
1. Gather/scan documentation that serves as proof of the life event. Open the Supporting Documentation menu below and refer to the table for guidance.
|For this scenario…||You need to provide this supporting documentation:|
|The cost of your dependent care has changed due a change in cost imposed by your dependent care provider||
If dis-enrolling your child altogether:
If decreasing your DCAP contribution amount:
|You have changed dependent care providers (and your cost has increased or decreased)||
|You had a change in your number of DCAP-qualifying dependents||
2. Follow the instructions in the FSA and/or DCAP – Enroll/Change Contribution Amount(s) User Guide to change your per-paycheck contribution amount via Workday. During that process, you’ll upload the documentation you prepared in step 1.
Your changes take effect on the 1st of the upcoming month; if the day you submitted your request in Workday is the 1st of the month, your enrollment takes effect that day. Paycheck deductions will be reflected in your first paycheck of that month.