Note: This is a printed version of https://isc.uw.edu/workday-payroll-calendar/deadline-paydays. Please visit this page on the ISC website to ensure you're referencing the most current information.
Deadline Deep Dives: Paydays (Dollar Sign Icon)
As mandated by the State of Washington, paydays are the 10th and 25th of every month, with a few exceptions:
- If the 10th or 25th falls on a Saturday, payday is the Friday before
- If the 10th or 25th falls on Sunday, payday is the Monday following
- If the 10th or 25th is a holiday falling on a Monday, payday is the Friday before
All other deadlines appearing on the Payroll and Workday Approval Deadline Calendar are derived from payday dates. Once we receive the official dates from the State, then it’s a matter of simply counting backward from each payday to set the other payroll and HCM deadlines appearing on the calendar. For example:
- Four business days prior to payday are required to process approved timesheet transactions (i.e., the Timesheet Approval Deadline)
- Six business days prior to payday are required to process approved HCM transactions (i.e., the Campus Approval Deadline)
⇒ Employees are paid for hours worked from the 1st to 15th on the payday that falls on the 25th of that month
⇒ Employees are paid for hours worked from the 16th to the end of the month on the 10th of the following month
This means that units should prioritize transactions for the current pay period (i.e., transactions for the 1st through 15th for the payroll and HCM transaction deadlines before the 25th payday and transactions for the 16th through the end of the month for the 10th payday) to help ensure employees are paid properly and on time.