Skip to main content
Integrated Service Center


OASDI (Social Security & Medicare) Taxes

In general, United States OASDI (Social Security and Medicare) taxes apply to payments of wages for services performed as an employee in the US, regardless of the citizenship or residence of either the employee or the employer.

Exemptions to OASDI

Determination of an exemption from OASDI is based on the calendar year (January-December) you enter the United States.

Read more

Working Outside Washington State

State Income Tax

Washington is one of seven states in the US that do not have a state income tax. Employees working and residing in Washington have no state income tax liability.

However, if you are working in a state that does have an income tax, the UW is required to withhold income tax for the state(s) in which your services are performed.

Read more

Tax Withholding Information

Change your withholding elections (IRS Form W-4) in Workday.

Your tax residency address on the tax forms will pull from your Home (Primary) Address in Workday.

Read more


An overpayment occurs when you are paid for hours that you did not work or for which you were paid at an incorrect rate.

An overpayment can be reported by an employee or discovered by the employee’s department during a review of their payroll.

As a state agency, the University of Washington is required by law to recover these overpaid funds.

Read more

Getting Help From Your Department

Looking for your Payroll Coordinator?  With the implementation of Workday, your department administrator has a new support role to better help you. An administrator may have multiple Security Groups to allow them to support different roles. Security Groups enable support to what an administrator can do, what they can see, and where they can do or see it.

Read more

Former Employees

Leave Pay-Out for Separated Employees

The final payout for accumulated annual leave is paid on the regularly scheduled payroll paydays once your Time Off has been reviewed and processed by the Payroll Office.

Campus employees should contact the ISC for questions.

Medical Centers employees should call 206-744-9280 or email UW Medical Centers Payroll.

Read more

Your Pay & Taxes

The Payroll specialists in the ISC ensure that everyone who works for the UW gets paid accurately and on time.

Links below provide payroll information and resources for faculty, professional staff, student workers, and UW Medical Centers employees.

Many processes associated with your pay and taxes are now done in Workday.

Read more