|Medical Centers Employees:
Please follow your usual departmental time off request procedure when recording Personal Holiday Time Off.
At the University of Washington, all monthly paid employees receive one paid personal holiday each calendar year. Similar to other time off requests (eg, sick time or vacation), to use this paid holiday, employees must request the Personal Holiday Time Off in Workday.
To be eligible to use this time off, you must have completed a minimum of four months of continuous University employment. Classified non-union employees need only to be scheduled to have at least four months of continuous employment. Full-time employees receive eight hours of time off for their paid holiday. Part-time employees receive a prorated amount based on their FTE percentage.
- For more information about the UW’s personal holiday policy, visit UW HR’s Personal Holiday
This personal holiday must be used or donated by December 31 of each year, or, per University policy, the paid holiday is automatically forfeited – it does not carry over to the following year.
How to Schedule Your Personal Holiday Time Off
When you are ready to schedule your personal holiday:
- Login to Workday and select the Absence
- Select Request Absence.
- Select the date for which you’d like to schedule your personal holiday time off, then select the green Request Absence button at the bottom of the screen.
- For Select Absence Type, choose Personal Holiday Time Off, then
- On the final screen, select Submit. Your request will be routed to your Time & Absence Approver.
For more detailed guidance, start with Step 1 in the Enter Absence (Time Off) User Guide.