With the end of 2017 right around the corner, the ISC is busy preparing for the upcoming tax season.
In order to ensure that your tax documents are correct and available to you as soon as possible, the ISC is asking every employee to take the following two actions:
1. Make Sure Your Address is Correct in Workday:
Even small typos or a missing number in your address – specifically your “Home (Primary)” address – can impact your tax documentation (for example, if your state accidentally reads CA instead of WA, you could get charged for state withholding tax). It’s easy to just confirm everything looks correct:
- In Workday, select the Personal Information worklet.
- Under View, select Addresses – is your “Home (Primary)” address correct?
- TIP: This should be the address you use while working at the UW and is the address for which taxes will be based. If you have more than one home address listed, verify that the “Mailing” address is where you want your tax forms sent. Each employee should have only one “Mailing” address.
See the Edit Personal Information User Guide for more information about different address types and step-by-step guidance on any updates you need to make.
2. Opt Out of Paper Tax Forms:
You can access your W-2 tax forms two weeks earlier than paper tax forms are available. Additionally, online tax forms are more secure, and dramatically helps the UW reduce time and money costs. If you have already opted out in previous years, you do not need to do so again.
- From the Pay worklet in Workday, under View, select My Tax Documents.
- Under Printing Election, select Edit. Then select OK at the bottom of the next screen.
- Select the “Receive electronic copy of my Year End Tax Documents” button (the red asterisk just means one of the two choices must be selected), select OK at the bottom of the screen, then select Done.
You have now successfully opted out of paper tax forms! You will be able to access the online copy of your tax documents as soon as they become available in early January.
You can always find these instructions, as well as other tax-filing resources and information, on the ISC website: https://isc.uw.edu/your-pay-taxes/tax-filing-resources/.
Please note: The ISC Payroll Office cannot provide tax advice.