The ISC encourages all employees to opt out of receiving paper W-2 tax forms, and to instead retrieve tax information online through Workday. Online tax forms are legal documents that meet all the same IRS requirements as paper forms, and are available two weeks before paper tax forms, which won’t be mailed out until January 25, 2018.
In addition to providing a more secure – and quicker – way to receive your tax filing information, going digital and opting out of paper tax forms helps the UW reduce time and money costs.
Did You Know? You can access your tax forms as soon as they become available. Because employees now need to be enrolled in two-factor authentication (2FA), the UW has removed the 24-hour delay security measure to retrieve private tax information.
You must opt out of paper tax forms no later than 5:00 pm on Friday, January 5, 2018. If you have not completed the opt out process by this time, the ISC will mail your paper tax form(s).
Going Digital is Easy: Opting Out of Paper Tax Forms
You can opt out of receiving paper tax forms now, and it only takes a few moments. If you have already opted out in previous years, you do not need to do so again.
- In Workday, from the Pay worklet, select the My Tax Documents link. You will be asked to sign in and approve the request through Duo/2FA.
- If you are not already enrolled in the UW’s two-factor authentication (2FA) solution, visit https://itconnect.uw.edu/security/uw-netids/2fa/.
- Workday will then display your Current Year End Tax Document Printing Election. Select Edit on the right under Printing Election.
- The Worker for Tax Document Printing Election and Company fields will appear. Select OK on the bottom left to go to the Change Year End Tax Documents Printing Elections page.
- For New Election, select the “Receive electronic copy of my Year End Tax Documents” option. Select OK at the bottom left, and then select Done.
Congratulations! You have now successfully opted out of paper tax forms! You will be able to access the online copy of your tax documents as soon as they become available in early January.
Please note: The ISC Payroll Office cannot provide tax advice.