Winter Quarter in Workday
Check this page regularly for new and relevant information about Fall Quarter in Workday!
Eligibility for the Off Quarter Hiatus Pilot Program
Off Quarter Hiatus only applies to the following Job Profiles:
- Lecturer Part Time
- Senior Lecturer – Part Time
- Senior Artist in Residence
- Artist in Residence
- Teaching Associate
The faculty member must:
- Be currently working this Fall Quarter
- Not be working this upcoming Winter Quarter
- Have a commitment from the department to return for Spring Quarter in the same job profile/capacity.
|December 18, 2018||First day to initiate Off Quarter Hiatus|
|December 31, 2018 – 5:00 pm||Deadline for initiating Off Quarter Hiatus (this is the HCM Transaction Unit Approval Deadline for the December 16 – December 31 pay period)|
|December 16, 2018 – March 15, 2019||Effective dates for Off Quarter Hiatus|
|March 16, 2019||Date faculty will be returned to service|
Before Placing Employees on Off Quarter Hiatus
For employees who qualify for Off Quarter hiatus, please ensure:
- Their Employment Date and Compensation End Dates reflect the actual end dates for that employee (eg, June 15, 2019); Off Quarter Hiatus will suppress their pay for the employee while they are on hiatus. To review end dates, you can run the R0321 Upcoming End Employment Dates
- Confirming that their Academic Appointment End Date is December 15, 2018; while their Position will remain intact in Workday while on hiatus, they will not have an Academic Appointment for Winter Quarter. To review Appointment End Dates, you can run the Upcoming Appointment End Dates report.
Initiating Off Quarter Hiatus
For faculty who meet all of the criteria above, starting on December 18, Academic Partners can put them on Off Quarter Hiatus in Workday similar to how you would submit a Leave of Absence, using the following details:
- Select Date Range: Must be from December 16, 2018 to March 15, 2019. Selecting different dates will result in rejection of the Off Quarter Hiatus request.
- Type: Select “LOA – Off Quarter Hiatus”
- Position: If the faculty member holds more than one position, select the position that is going on Off Quarter Hiatus. You must repeat this transaction for each position if requesting Off Quarter Hiatus for more than one position.
- Approval Process: Once the Off Quarter Hiatus leave type has been submitted, it will route to the Chair/Chair’s Delegate, Dean/Dean’s Delegate, and ultimately to Academic HR for final approval.
Please note: If your Off Quarter Hiatus request is submitted late (ie, after the deadline of 5:00 pm on December 31), it could have an impact on pay. Please make sure to initiate this Workday transaction prior to the deadline.
During the Off Quarter Hiatus
Once placed on Off Quarter Hiatus, faculty members will immediately receive a notification in Workday providing details about what it means to be on Off Quarter Hiatus.
During the Winter Quarter, they will continue to have access to Workday and other UW resources, though most of their data in Workday will reflect information from their previous active employment (in this case, from their Fall Quarter position).
Possible Benefits Impact: Once placed on Off Quarter Hiatus, the ISC will send benefits-eligible faculty details about any impact to their benefits and any next steps. Please recommend employees read this communication closely.
Returning from Off Quarter Hiatus
Faculty will be returned automatically from Off Quarter Hiatus en masse by the ISC effective March 16, 2019. There should be no changes made to faculty members’ records in Workday while they are on Off Quarter Hiatus.
Once returned from Off Quarter Hiatus on March 16, departments will need to complete the Add Academic Appointment Track business process for each returned employee.
If you have any questions not answered above about who qualifies for Off Quarter Hiatus, please contact your Academic HR Specialist.
If you have any questions about how to initiate the Off Quarter Hiatus in Workday, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winter Hiring – Best Practices & Preparation
Last year, in preparation for the Winter Quarter, the College of Arts & Sciences delivered a presentation to help their administrators plan for the next couple of months in Workday, and generously shared their slide deck with the ISC so other units could benefit. Though the dates might be old, the content, suggestions, guidance and best practices are still relevant!
Topics include overviews of:
- Which jobs end December 15 (and should they be extended)?
- Which jobs are new for Winter Quarter?
- What deadlines are critical to meet in December and January?
- And a comprehensive list of recommendations regarding various tasks and scheduling considerations for Winter Quarter.
Many thanks to Linda Nelson and Heidi Tilghman for the resource!
Please Review Staff Changes and Initiate Necessary Processes
With one quarter ending and another just beginning, now is a great time to review if action needs to be taken on a worker. If you run the report “R0321 Upcoming End Employment Date,” you may discover employees who have End Dates that have already passed or have End Dates that need to be extended.
Please review these Staffing Event Job Aids and follow the recommended action for each scenario. For example, you will need to terminate those who are no longer working at the UW or extend those who will be staying.
- HCM Staffing Events for Academic Workers
- HCM Staffing Events for Staff
- HCM Staffing Events for Students
User Guides for Navigating Winter Quarter Hiring
The ISC has an extensive User Guide Library, but here are a few User Guides that should be particularly helpful for navigating Winter Quarter hiring:
- Hire – Academic Personnel
- Hire – Student
- Hire – Graduate Student Fellowship/Traineeship
- Add Additional Job – Graduate Student Fellowship/Traineeship
- Change Job – Academic Personnel (for switching between paid and unpaid status)
- Academic Affiliates
- Period Activity Pay – Student